- “According to my observation from the first year i started, in the system, I think we need more support from the department of education, from all of the divisions within the department.”
- The school has close to 900 students and a ratio of about 30 students to 1 teacher. In 2016 the student enrollment was about 600 students. “We have enough teachers but the problem is we don’t have enough space - classrooms to accommodate all the students.”
- Why World Teach ended: “The reason [World Teach] gave us is that they see that the [DOE] is always late to make payment… they [don’t] process stipends for their volunteers and also for their housing.”
- “We started the elementary program because we see that most of our 9th grade students could not read at their level, high school level.”
- Why DOE stopped K-5 program: “[Chuuk High administration] did not follow procedure of opening or operating a school in Chuuk, by going through the Board of Education and seeking approval by the director… They told me that I need to just let the existing elementary schools do that part and I will focus on doing my part with the secondary - the high school students.”
- “We monitored the number of students that made it on the college entrance test. The first year (2011), four students made it… last year (2016) we had 115."