Palikir, Pohnpei (Dec. 23, 2013) FSM president, honorable Emmanuel “Manny” Mori held a short ceremony to present a check of $100,000 to Dr. Merlynn Abello-Alfonso, Honorary Consul of the Philippines in the FSM. The donation will aid in the Philippine's recovery efforts after the devastation of super-typhoon Yolanda.
Other donations from numerous communities in Pohnpei were also received:
1. Ms. Emiliana (Emy) Musrasrik and Mr. Ricky Carl = $500.00.
2. Genesis Pharmacy (collection from Donation Box) = $33.22.
3. Filipino Employees at College of Micronesia National Campus = $670.00
TOTAL : $1,203.22
This is the second major donation that FSM has made in 2013. In July of 2013, the government of the FSM donated $30,000 to the Republic of Palau to aid in their recovery from typhoon Bopha, which rolled over Palau in December of 2012.
In a letter to Philippine president, Benigno Simeon Aquino III, president Mori stated, “no words are enough to ease the pain and hardship for the loss of lives and property”.
1. OTV, "FSM Government Donates To Typhoon Bopha Relief".
2. ABS-CBNnews.com, "Micronesia donates $100,000 to Yolanda aid".
3. FSM Updates (myfsm.blogspot.com). "FSM Typhoon relief assistance to the Philippines, Honorary Consul says 'thank you'".